•I gave a talk at Ignite about "Vulnerability, Grief & Why We Are Bad At It"... (Watch it, it's only five minutes and it'll make you laugh. I promise.)
• My Tedx presentation of selections from "Principles of Flight" is now available on the Tedx Channel .
• I joined Sherman Alexie & Friends on The Indies First Party Bus on Indies First Day
•Honored to join Charles Johnson and Tod Marshall reading new work for Humanities Washington Bedtime Stories Fundraiser in October 2016.
• HUGO & ROSE got a starred review from Booklist!
•POPSUGAR put HUGO & ROSE at the TOP of the list of their best summer reads of 2015.
•HUGO & ROSE is one of LUCKY MAGAZINE'S anything but basic summer reads.
•The saddest story I have ever lived: A piece about my daughters in Salon.
• Where my love affair began. There are SPIDERS in this link.
EXCERPTS & INTERVIEWS
•Interview in THE HUFFINGTON POST.
• The HUGO & ROSE audiobook from Audible will be narrated by the author. I am the author. This is me in front of a mike.
• Shared dreaming, Tony Curtis & Radical Fandom: An Interview At THE READING FRENZY.
• I got to recommend books for the Seattle Public Library's Shelf Talk Blog... sadly, they limited me to only five.
•My interview with Cynthia Swanson of THE BOOKSELLER over at the wonderful SheReads.
•Featured by NYT Bestselling novelist Caroline Leavitt.
You Might Like These Things
I am forever rushing out the door after departing friends, waving some piece of material at them, screaming, "Wait! I want you to have this!" I will then press a copy of my latest favorite thing into their tired hands. These articles are often books, they are sometimes movies, but they are always something with which I have connected deeply.
Over the years I have found that the truest measure of how much I love a book is my inability to keep a copy in my house. I would lend the edition with which I first fell in love away, then buy another because I was impatient for that book's return. Some books came back, but most did not. In spite of this I kept on pushing books into my friends hands; My heart insisting that it was more important to me that I share the experience of these books with others than it was that I keep them at the ready for myself. The bookshelves in my home are gap toothed, made that way by love, love of friends and love of story.
Over the past few years I've stopped loaning books. I now simply give them away with no expectation of return. I buy new favorites in multiples, knowing that even if I don't know who it is yet, someone will eventually present themselves as the person to whom I simply must give this amazing book.
Below, I've listed a collection of books and movies that I love and share similar themes or threads with Hugo & Rose. Believe me, if you were to visit my house these are the things I'd be holding while chasing after you .